Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Wholesale, New e-Shops and Craft Shows

It's very exciting to be working on my very first wholesale order! I hope to do more in the future. The shop owner found me on Etsy if you are wondering...this is what I am making:


I am making bunches of beads every day, good thing I enjoy it :)

I've been on Etsy since November of 2006, and I love it there.


But I did decide (somewhat hastily) to open an Artfire shop. Almost immediately after doing that, I realized Artfire is not exactly my style. I don't love the way it looks but I know they aren't finished with it so I am witholding judgement as of yet. I paid for the $7/month unlimited listing option. I like that they are very conscious of social media and let you link to your Twitter, Facebook and even back to your Etsy! I haven't put a lot of goods in my storefront there, but I think when I do, I will start listing fun or cute, lower-priced items that might not fit in with my Etsy shop aesthetic.


I guess I was on a roll because I then applied for a shop on 1000 Markets! 1KM is a gorgeous site which still claims to be in "sneak preview" mode though it is fully functional. Listing is free and fees are only taken out at the time of sale. It is juried and uses Amazon Payments instead of PayPal which has the advantage of letting buyers purchase from several different merchants but pay all at once. Vendors there are creating and joining "Markets" which are groups that showcase a region, a medium or a style. I got rejected from the only Market I applied for so far and no others seem to fit my style yet, I will keep an eye on that.


I plan to list only my felt goods in this shop, I am doing a marketing experiment in narrowing focus. I'll keep you posted.

And this is the time, remarkably, when we are all planning our craft shows for the whole year! I'll post them on the right side of this blog as I get accepted. OK, I gotta get back to work!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Liz!

    Congrats on all the goings on in your neck of the woods. I just openend a 1000 Markets shop a second ago! And I dumped my Artfire shop (just not for me right now). See ya :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, all your shops look fabulous and ready for spring! Good luck with all your new ventures and congrats on the wholesale gig. Hopefully you'll give us a glance at work in progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with all your new projects and web sites!! Can't wait to check out your 2009 lineup of shows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great that you try all these new places to sell on-line.
    Your wares are so lovely, more people need to see them !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your lovely wares, too! Let me know if you need a ride to one of your upcoming shows...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, your stuff will look great on 1000K and is way too classy for Artfire, poor little Artfire :(

    Thanks Cicada, that was a great suggestion so I took it :)

    Thanks Cindy!!

    Awww mom, you are the best!!

    Dell Smith, I will certainly let you know :)

    ReplyDelete