Friday, July 6, 2007

The Temp Studio


I got the key to 4-11 last Saturday afternoon and we spent Sunday hauling boxes of art supplies up the freight elevator. I couldn't have done it without my husband, he was a huge help. Monday I went to my parents' house and picked up some more things, plus set the stage for Wednesday.

On Tuesday I painted. The previous tenant was a splatter painter and he had attempted to even out the walls by painting most of the room peach. The thick texture of the drips is clearly visible beneath the thin skin of paint. And that color! Yuck. He kindly bequeathed to me a 5 gallon bucket of random paint and I covered the walls with it. It turned out to be a not unpleasant shade of taupe and with a few highlights pulled out in bright white, the room is decent looking. I wanted to neaten it up, but since I am only in that particular room for two months, I didn't want to invest too many hours in the fix up.

Wednesday, the 4th of July, I gathered my menfolk; my father, my brother and my husband and we went to get the big conference table my father is so generously letting me use and a bunch more art supplies I have been caching in my old childhood home. My brother brought his son's pick up truck and we convoyed the thirty miles north to Lowell (it's closer than you think!) After having loads of fun playing with the scary metal dolly and the always terrifying freight elevator, it was time to break for lunch.

So now I have a nicely painted room with some folding tables and a pile of art supplies I've collected over the past twenty years sitting in the middle.

Tomorrow I have my first open studios where I will sit behind the conference table and hawk my wares to any passers by. I hope I get a few lookers! The location of the studio is not the best and I think a lot of folks are away for the weekend. I'll post on how it goes!!

5 comments:

  1. well, i wish you much luck and many happy lookers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be thinking about you all day. Wish I could sit beside you on one of those very nice,( just needs a little fixing up,) chairs.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear how it went. I will be thinking of you and wishing you lots of foot traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sandra!

    Mom, a little duct tape and they are as good as new! Wish you were here too :)

    Snoozer! Thanks for the well wishes, I will blog about the day shortly :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great, congrats on your space!

    ReplyDelete