Wednesday, July 4, 2007

What I Sent

So I was approached, along with myriad other talented artists, to submit jewelry items for a book to be published in 2008. I was given the option of either sending the actual items or my own photos. The very kind woman who was soliciting entries picked 14 items from my Etsy shop she liked best. If I sent the items it would be several months before they were returned. So naturally I decided to take my own pictures.

I was fifteen minutes into chasing the sun around the room with my makeshift lightbox when the dread descended. I realized that it was quite possible that I could be eliminated from the project because of lousy photos! But I couldn't spare the originals. What would I do? I decided to copy all the items and send the doubles!

This proved much harder than I anticipated. She had picked many one-of-a-kind items for which I had to make new polymer clay or felt components. I had no idea how hard it would be to copy myself! I custom mix most of my polymer clay and I don't keep records of how I achieve each color. I made most of the elements more than once with a lot of close but no cigar results. I worked daily for two weeks until I had a selection I felt was worthy of a book. I shipped them off and now there's nothing to do but cross fingers!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations, Liz! That's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wanted to say I think your display is breathtaking.

    I love looking at your blog posting. and finding these exciting developments.

    All my love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was tickled to come back from my retreat and see your shop! I finally have enough money to buy something from you.

    Thanks so much for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cozy, thanks mom :)

    Conley, You are so sweet! I was JUST looking at your blog yesterday to see if you were back yet and how your retreat went...thanks for the purchase, that's really fun!

    PS, my niece CRIED when she saw the pic of London, it was her favorite gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Liz! I had to do the same thing and I think I was as frustrated as you. I ended up having to overnight everything on the 3rd. She e-mailed today that she got them, so now I am breathing a sigh of relief and keeping my fingers crossed. Here's hoping they all make the cut (clinks glasses and takes a long drink!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamara! I had no idea anyone else was going through the same thing! Too funny, well, it's funny now :) I got her email today too, what a relief!! She seems super nice, and yes, crossing fingers, clinking glasses :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, I'll let everyone know what happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Exciting!!

    Wishing you lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Terri! No idea when we find out our fates...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, such exciting news and such an impressive display of loveliness and hard work! I'm hoping for you!

    ReplyDelete